Nicholas Cross – Grande Prairie
On April 2, 2017 in Clairmont, Alberta, Nicholas Cross along with 4 others initiated lifesaving interventions to a team member, Mark Malekoff, who collapsed in the dressing room following a hockey tournament that Nicholas organized. 9-1-1 was called and CPR was started. An Automated External Defibrillator (AED) was retrieved and applied. The team continued their lifesaving efforts until EMS arrived. Mark was transported to the hospital and survived the incident. Nicholas and the 4 men who responded are to be commended for their quick actions, knowledge and use of First Aid and CPR in saving a life.
Lis Christensen – St Albert
On August 15, 2016, at home in St. Albert, Alberta, Lis Christensen found her husband, Villy, unconscious and without a heartbeat. Lis called 9-1-1 and immediately began performing CPR and continued until EMS arrived. Doctors reported that without Lis’s intervention it is doubtful Villy would have survived. At the time of this incident, Lis herself was undergoing medical treatment for a serious condition and she is to be commended for her strength, knowledge, quick actions and use of CPR to save her husband’s life.
Constable Deiter Molcak, Randy Gilson and Kyle McNamara – Edmonton
On August 30, 2016 in Edmonton, Alberta, Cst. Deiter Molcak, Randy Gildson, and Kyle McNamara were working out at the LA Fitness gym. While in the locker room, a janitor at the facility entered the room frantically asking if anyone knew first aid as someone had collapsed in the shower area. Cst. Molcak, Randy Gilson and Kyle McNamara, entered the area and found Tom Davey unresponsive, blue in color and not breathing. Unsure of what happened or the extent of injuries, they immediately sprang into action assessing the casualty, calling EMS, and starting CPR. Mr. Davey’s heart started and stopped beating multiple times. Mr. Davey was transported to hospital where he suffered a subsequent heart attack. Mr. Davey was hospitalized for five weeks and underwent surgery to repair a complete blockage. Cst. Dieter Molcak, Randy Gilson and Kyle McNamara are to be commended for their quick response and for their knowledge and use of first aid in saving a life. Without this intervention, Mr. Davey may not have survived.
Patrick Nuthall – Edmonton
On November 10, 2016, in Edmonton, Alberta, Patrick Nuthall’s father, Bryan, experienced severe chest pain and collapsed in the living room. Patrick heard his mother calling for him to come and assist. Patrick assessed his father and found he was in cardiac arrest. Immediately, Patrick started CPR while his mother called 9-1-1. Patrick continued CPR until emergency services arrived. Patrick Nuthall is to be commended for his quick actions, and knowledge and use of first aid in saving his father’s life.
Chief Petty Officer Tyler Reynolds – Spruce Grove
On January 15, 2017, in Onoway, Alberta, Chief Petty Officer Tyler Reynolds, a member of the Royal Canadian Sea Cadets, was ice fishing on Devil’s Lake with a friend when he heard calls for help. He saw an ATV rolled over on the ice. Tyler rushed to the scene. The operator suffered a severe gash on his head and was bleeding heavily. Administering first aid to control the bleeding, Tyler stayed with the casualty and monitored his condition. When the casualty lost consciousness, Tyler began treatment for shock. The casualty was transported to hospital for further treatment. Chief Petty Officer Tyler Reynolds is to be commended for his quick response and for his knowledge and use of first aid in saving a life.
Arvid Thompson – Milo
On October 7, 2017, near Vulcan, Alberta, Arvid Thompson was travelling with 8 students on his school bus from Vulcan to home near Milo. A driver tried to pass the bus and lost control due to slippery conditions, hitting the bus causing it to spin and go into the ditch. The bus rolled before coming to a stop on its side. Despite being shaken by the event, Arvid Thompson immediately called 9-1-1 and began attending to the students. He was able to evacuate all the students except one who was unconscious. Concerned about an injury to her neck, he ensured she was not moved and that her neck remained stabilized. Arvid Thompson is to be commended for his quick actions, and knowledge and use of first aid to save lives.
Asmir Bekric and Steven Higgs – Fort McMurray
On June 20, 2016, in Fort McMurray, Alberta, Asmir Bekric and Steven Higgs were at work at a water treatment plant when they heard a call for help. A co-worker was unresponsive. Upon arrival to the scene, Steven immediately commenced CPR as Asmir prepared the AED until EMS arrived. Asmir Bekric and Steven Higgs are to be commended for their quick actions, and knowledge and use of first aid in saving a life.
Matthew Bristow, Dennis Grahn and Shelby Grahn – Sherwood Park and Emdonton
On October 12, 2016, in Sherwood Park, Alberta, Matthew Bristow, Dennis Grahn and Shelby Grahn responded to calls from co-workers for help with an emergency incident. Arriving on scene, they found a co-worker unconscious and not breathing. Immediately, they began first aid interventions and performed CPR until emergency services arrived. Mathew Bristow, Dennis Grahn and Shelby Grahn are to be commended for their quick actions, teamwork and for their knowledge and use of first aid in saving a life.
Beverly Cardinal, Donna Kutschke, Tamara Plante, Harold Roscher and Shawn Thomson – Edmonton
On August 14, 2017, in Edmonton, Alberta, the staff of the Native Healing Centre found a casualty outside their facility who was unconscious, not breathing and had no pulse. Donna Kutschke, Tamara Plante, Harold Roscher and Beverly Cardinal immediately commenced CPR and retrieved an AED. Shawn Thomson, a St. John Ambulance Instructor from the Edmonton Training Centre, came to assist. Emergency services arrived and took over care. Donna Kutschke, Tamara Planet, Harold Roscher, Beverly Cardinal and Shawn Thomson are to be commended for their quick actions, teamwork and for their knowledge and use of first aid in saving and a life.
Harry Seemann and Tej Chuhan – Edmonton
On July 2, 2016, in Island Lake, Alberta, Harry Seemann’s wife, Diana, volunteered to climb through their kitchen window of their lakeside cottage after getting locked out. In the process of doing so, the heavy window came down on her mid back. Diana was unresponsive. While pushing the window up and trying to free Diana, she fell into a narrow trench at the wall’s base. Harry ran next door calling for help. Tej Chuhan heard the plea for help and together they were able to pull Diana out. Tej and Harry commenced CPR until Diana was breathing again. STARS Air Ambulance arrived on scene and transported Diana to hospital. Harry Seemann and Tej Chuhan are to be commended for their quick response, knowledge and use of first aid in saving a life.
Derrick Kernaghan – Calgary
On August 5, 2017, on Crowsnest River, Alberta, Derrick Kernaghan risked his life to save another. When Derrick heard a call for help, he immediately responded. Seven year old Sadie had been playing along the edge of the river when she fell into the deep, cold water. In the swift current, Sadie struggled to keep her head above the water. Without hesitation, Derrick jumped into the river, and swam out to reach her. With Sadie in one arm, Derrick swam back to shore. Once on shore, family members quickly provided first aid for hyperthermia to both Sadie and Derrick. Without Derrick’s intervention, Sadie may not have survived this frightening accident. Derrick Kernaghan is to be commended for his quick response, strength, and selfless actions in saving a life”.
Elaine Soetaert – Sturgeon County
On April 1, 2017, in Peoria, Arizona, Elaine and her husband Martin were preparing for their return trip home to Alberta. Martin was outside closing the pool. While in the house, Elaine heard an explosion. She ran outside and saw that the pool house was destroyed. Elaine did not see Martin anywhere. Frantically searching, she noticed a shoe floating in the pool and then saw Martin lying motionless at the bottom of the deep end. Although Elaine was not a confident swimmer, she entered the water and dove under, grabbing hold of Martin’s clothing and pulling him to the edge of the pool. Martin was unresponsive and not breathing. Elaine started artificial respirations. Struggling to keep his head above water, Elaine moved Martin who was unconscious to the shallow end and initiated chest compressions. Neighbors responded and called 9-1-1. Martin was transported to hospital where he later recovered. Elaine Soetaert is to be commended for her selfless actions, quick response and for her knowledge and use of first aid in saving her husband’s life.
Unable to attend
Chad Goldie – Grande Prairie
Kevin Bjornson – Grande Prairie
Rob Short – Grande Prairie
Stephanie Barber – Grande Prairie
Jim Cheyne – Edmonton
Cindy Cheyne – Edmonton
Amanda Cheyne – Lac La Biche
Mark Saxton – St Albert
Kyle McNamara – Edmonton
Randy Gilson – Edmonton