Resumption of in-class training - Covid-19

St. John Ambulance is pleased to announce our business resumption plan for in-class training. Starting on May 25, 2020, our Edmonton location will be piloting the in-class training in accordance with the policies and guidance from the Province of Alberta. On June 1, we will continue a phased-in approach across our other 6 locations.



In light of current events and the suspension of training caused by the spread of COVID-19, St. John Ambulance, Alberta Council, with authority from Alberta Labour – OHS, will be making concessions on training certification.

The 2019 St. John Ambulance Life Saving Awards

Edmonton – Saturday June 1, 2019 The Hon. Lois Mitchell as Vice-Prior of the Order of St John and Lt Governor of Alberta, recognized 46 remarkable Albertans in several areas – such as Lifesaving Awards, Admission and Promotion in the Order of St John, Commendations and Awards of Excellence.

Darcie Babysh – Bon Accord 

 On January 3, 2018 in Bon Accord, Alberta, Darcie Babysh initiated lifesaving interventions to save her roommate, Patty Dalpe. Patty suffered an acute asthma attack which resulted in cardiac arrest. Darcie immediately recognized Patty was in serious distress and called out to a visiting friend to call 9-1-1. Darcie then began CPR and continued until EMS arrived.  Patty was transported to the Sturgeon Hospital in St. Albert and survived the incident. Darcie is to be commended for her quick actions, knowledge and use of First Aid and CPR in saving a life.

Taralee Bennie – Leduc

On November 25, 2018 in Leduc, Alberta, Taralee Bennie was working her shift as a server at the Boston Pizza. A gentleman and his family were enjoying their lunch when Taralee observed the gentleman was struggling to breath. She recognized that he was choking and needed immediate assistance. Taralee administered  first aid for choking, performing a combination of abdominal and back thrusts and was able to dislodge the trapped food. Without Taralee Bennie’s quick actions and appropriate intervention, the outcome for this gentleman may have been very different.

Sheriff Richard Hadfield, Sheriff Kieran Biggins, and Sheriff Yaroslav Skyrpnyk – Edmonton

On February 8, 2019, in Edmonton, Alberta, Sheriff Richard Hadfield was on duty providing security within a courtroom of the Edmonton Law Courts. Hadfield observed a lawyer addressing the court suddenly fall into a chair and gasping for air. Hadfield radioed Sheriff Dispatch and requested immediate assistance then began to assist the casualty. Sheriff Skrypnyk responded. The casualty became unresponsive, they placed him on the floor, started chest compressions and called for an AED. Sheriff Biggins arrived with an AED. Together the team continued to provide lifesaving interventions until EMS arrived and took over care of the casualty. The casualty was transported to hospital. It was later learned that the casualty had suffered a major cardiac event. Sheriff Hadfield, Sheriff Biggins and Sheriff Skyrpnyk are to be commended for their quick actions and application of First Aid and CPR knowledge to save a life.

Senior Constable Craig Collins, Constable Mario Bruised Head and Constable Jared Sutton – Blood Indian Reserve

On July 22, 2018, on the Blood Indian Reserve, Senior Constable  Craig Collins, Constable Mario Bruised Head and Constable Jared Sutton responded to an emergency call. Upon arrival at the residence, they located a male youth receiving CPR by his uncle who rescued him from self-strangulation. The three officers took over the lifesaving efforts while EMS was on route. Unfortunately, they were unable to resuscitate the youth. Senior Constable Craig Collins, Constable Mario Bruised Head and Constable Jared Sutton are to be commended for their actions and interventions to attempt to save a life.

Brian Dodds – Edmonton

On August 27, 2018, in Edmonton, Brian Dodds was on a service call inspecting equipment at a condominium. Upon exiting the area and opening the door to the stairwell, Brian saw a resident, Peter Ingle, lying on the floor. Mr. Ingle was unconscious and not breathing. Another resident was nearby and called 9-1-1. Brian immediately commenced CPR and continued until EMS arrived. Mr. Ingle was rushed to hospital and remained there for five weeks. He had suffered a serious cardiac event. Brian Dodds is to be commended for his quick response and appropriate interventions. Without early CPR, Mr. Ingle may not have survived this incident.

Constable Fay Goss – Edmonton

On August 18, 2018, in Edmonton, Alberta, Constable Fay Goss of the City of Edmonton Police Service was at home when her neighbor knocked on her door asking for help. Constable Goss immediately responded and upon entering her neighbor’s home, saw her neighbor’s son, Dustin, in serious distress and in shock due to a possible overdose. She assessed the situation and immediately commenced CPR while Dustin’s father remained on the phone with the 9-1-1 operator. Dustin began breathing on his own after one minute of CPR. He was transported to hospital and made a full recovery.  Constable Fay Goss is to be commended for her quick actions, and knowledge and use of first aid in saving a life.

Adam Greer – Calgary

On May 21, 2018, in Calgary, Alberta, Adam Greer and his friend Taylor Polski were cycling in SW Calgary. Taylor indicated to Adam that he wasn’t feeling well and they stopped to rest. Taylor got off his bike, took a few steps and collapsed. From his life guard training Adam recognized the need for immediate action. Taylor was unconscious and not breathing. Adam immediately commenced CPR.  Residents from a nearby home called 9-1-1. Adam continued CPR until EMS arrived. Taylor had suffered cardiac arrest. Adam is to be commended for his quick response and for his knowledge and use of first aid in saving his friend’s life.

Mary-Ann Hughes and Eric Hughes – Edmonton

On July 22, 2018, in Edmonton, Alberta, Mary-Ann Hughes was recognized her husband, Kent, was in medical distress. Shortly after stating he felt pressure in his chest, Kent collapsed on the sofa and lost consciousness. Their son Eric had just arrived home from work and Mary-Ann called out to him for help. Eric called 9-1-1 while Mary-Ann pulled her husband from the sofa onto the floor where she commenced performing CPR. By the time EMS arrived, Mary-Ann and Eric established re-established a pulse. Kent was transported to hospital and seven weeks later returned to work. He was diagnosed with a rare cardiac condition. To perform CPR, with your family, on your loved one requires amazing fortitude, calmness and commitment. Mary-Ann Hughes and her son Eric Hughes are to be commended for their quick actions, and knowledge and use of first aid to save her husband’s life.

Tammy Lipka – Alberta Beach

On March 7, 2018, in Lethbridge, Alberta, Sergeant Shaun Jorgensen was off duty and on his way home. As he approached the street where he lives, he noticed an SUV normally parked at a neighbor’s house was stopped diagonally in the middle of the street. He proceeded to the SUV and discovered a female neighbor unresponsive in the driver’s seat, slumped back. The car ignition was on, but stalled. She wasn’t breathing and he couldn’t find a pulse. He called 9-1-1 then moved the female occupant from the vehicle onto the ground and commenced performing CPR. He continued CPR until EMS arrived. Unfortunately, the woman did not survive. Sergeant Shaun Jorgensen is to be commended for his quick actions, and knowledge and use of first aid in attempting to save a life.

Michael Overly, Trapper Simcoe and Aaron Young – Edmonton

On March 7, 2019 during a Correctional Services recruit training session in Edmonton one of the recruits appeared fatigued and collapsed. Instructors Michael Overly, Trapper Simcoe and Aaron Young responded. The recruit’s condition quickly worsened and he became unconscious. The instructors commenced with lifesaving interventions including CPR and the use of an Automated External Defibrillator (AED). A “no shock” was advised and the instructors continued providing CPR until arrival of EMS. The recruit was transported to hospital and later pronounced deceased. Every attempt was made to save his life and instructors Overly, Simcoe and Young are to be commended for their quick actions, knowledge and application of First Aid and CPR to attempt to save a life.

Dr. Erika Persson – Edmonton

On August 19, 2018, in Edmonton, Alberta, Dr. Erika Persson was watching a half marathon race when she observed one of the participant runners collapse. She immediately approached the runner, assessed his vitals, and quickly determined he was suffering a cardiac event. Dr. Persson commenced performing CPR until EMS personnel arrived and applied an AED. Mr. Henderson was transported to hospital and survived the incident.  Dr. Persson is to be commended for her quick response and lifesaving interventions.

Jennifer Tait – High River

On March 4, 2019, in Calgary, Alberta, Jennifer Tait, an Advanced Care Paramedic and Trevor Czernick, a Primary Care Paramedic, responded to a 9-1-1 hang up call from a teenage male. The patient was threatening to hurt himself. Inside the residence they found a young male suspended by a rope. He was not breathing and had no signs of life. They tried cutting the rope with scissors but were not successful. Jennifer obtained a knife from the kitchen which she used to cut the rope while Trevor held the weight of patient in the air hoping to reduce the constriction. Jennifer and Trevor were successful and the young man began to breathe. They continued with lifesaving interventions and transported to hospital. If it weren’t for the brave actions and lifesaving interventions, the outcome would have been very different. Jennifer Tait and Trevor Czernick are to be commended for their quick actions, strength, and application of lifesaving interventions to save a life.  Unfortunately, Trevor could not be with us today.

Curtis Berry and Su Davies – Priddis

On April 26, 2018, in Priddis, Alberta, two paramedics, Curtis Berry and Su Davies while on duty, responded to a call for assistance at a rural residence. A two year old was missing. Arriving at the scene, they immediately searched the property and found that the cover of a septic tank was removed. A child’s toy was floating on the surface. They quickly fashioned a makeshift pole and hook device and lowered it into the tank. Despite the danger of falling into the tank themselves, Curtis and Su continued to raise and lower the pole until they found the submerged child. Struggling, they finally hooked onto the child’s foot and raised the child out of the tank. The child was unconscious and not breathing. They immediately began CPR. Unfortunately and despite their best efforts, the child did not survive. Curtis Berry and Su Davies are to be commended for their heroic efforts and for their knowledge and use of first aid in attempting to save a life.

St John Ambulance life saving awardSt. John Ambulance is an international humanitarian Organization and is a foundation of the Order of St. John. 88725 4035 RR0001
Privacy Policy