Therapy Dog in Alberta
Therapy Dog services are provided in a wide range of community settings such as:
- Seniors residences and care facilities
- Schools, universities and colleges
- Community centres and libraries
- Talk with the volunteer and the dog
- Feel, touch, pet and cuddle the dog
- Receive unconditional love from the dog
- Carry-out or practice an activity in the presence of the dog
- Greater social engagement with individuals/residents talking more, participating more in activities, and smiling more
- Stress relief and distraction from pain
- Comfort and calming
- Improved self-confidence and esteem
The Therapy Dog Program is continuing to expand as communities recognize the special contributions that St. John Ambulance’s caring, four-legged volunteers can bring to Albertans of all ages in all life circumstances.
Therapy Dog Program volunteers report great satisfaction and sense of contribution from bringing joy and comfort to those they visit with their four-legged family member.